Sunday, June 28, 2009

Progress and the Process: Underpainting


I want to outline the process that I use to create these Buddhas, and also update the progress that I have made on different pieces while I do this. I am going to begin with the painting process, maybe someday I will photograph the drawing process that happens before I ever paint anything. I start with a drawing that utilizes the traditional Tibetan proportions for creating Buddhas. It is important to stay within these proportions because this ensures that Buddha always appears the same over time and anyone can look at Buddha and recognize him.

To begin the painting I tint the canvas with a light coat of oil paint, usually I use the color of the Buddha so that I can relate all other colors in the painting to this shade. I transfer the drawing to the tinted canvas either by direct transfer or projecting onto canvas and redoing the drawing over the projection. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, perhaps I will elaborate on this another day. Then I fix the charcoal drawing to the canvas by painting a light coat of paint over the charcoal drawing, usually burnt umber. At this stage a lot of the detail is added. I often leave the work at this stage for a while, with the underpainting complete, because many changes can be made at this point. It is more difficult to make major changes to the piece later on.

This is the very beginning of a painting of Vajrayogini. I am in the middle of painting over the charcoal drawing and adding the fine detail. This drawing was projected on to the canvas, not transferred directly. Drawings that are transferred directly retain much more original detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment